Burkenroad Latin America's objective is to improve the efficiency of capital markets and to promote the development and growth of public SMEs and less-traded firms in the countries covered by the business schools partners. Firms covered are benefiting from improved coverage. Sometimes BRLA reports are the only investment research reports available since big investment banks are not interested in covering small emerging market firms.
Two complementary but equally important objectives are:
- Improving access of corporations to financial markets.
- Formation of skilled financial analysts in the region who are hired in prestigious institutions in their home country.
Overall, the project promotes capital movement within the participating countries by enhancing the quality of financial research expertise as well as the quality, transparency, and distribution of financial information to national and international sources of capital.
The project allows participating Latin American educational institutions know-how developed by Tulane University through "Burkenroad Reports" for SMEs in the United States. The project not only creates cross-country reports with a standardized methodology and format, but also creates a database of companies that share similar economic and social environments and then can be compared to each other in order to obtain better benchmarking when valuing companies and their prospects. The project's goals are:
- The training of the participating institutions' professors on financial research and investment
issues, related to the "Burkenroad Reports" preparation through intensive workshops.
- The development of courses to be offered by the trained professors to students and other practitioners.
- Networking between business schools and organizations that share similar objectives
(stock exchanges, brokerage houses, banks, financial markets regulators, among others).
- The preparation and dissemination of the Burkenroad Reports.